Thursday, September 23, 2010

september odds and ends

just a few pictures to show you too many details of our lives :) i'm sure it's more than anyone (other than me) could be interested in,
first, this was our backyard flood at the first rainstorm in september (the 8th). i'm not sure how easy it is to see, but the water was more than ankle deep to me on the patio (and the dirt there on the right is at least 2-3 inches deeper), the water was up to the base of the numbrs on the electric box. we had a blast running to and from the car to go to the library, and then after lunch we went on a "rain walk." afton and i particularly loved it, rayna hated it, and malachi was pretty indifferent. the rain water was rushing so fast by the curb that even with me blocking some of the current, and crossing the street just downstream of the gutter, rayna was nearly knocked off her feet (poor kid!). our creek was higher than i had ever seen it too, so i'm still glad we went to check it out before the flooding washed more down-creek. we're also particularly glad it cleared up lake lavon (the reservoir our drinking water comes from--generally in august it smells/tastes so bad no one wants to drink tap water, though it's perfectly safe).


then, this little dog started making the rounds on afton's birthday. he snuck into our back yard when paul got home, begging. the next day, he camped out on our front porch for a couple hours (then i gave in and fed him, what else could i do?!). finally i called animal control, but then by the time they came (1/2 hour later or so), one of my neighbors decided to adopt him :). turns out at least three of us had fed him that morning already anyways, sneaky pup!

and cause i can't post something without pics of the kids, here's a few of my current favorites--
sleepy afternoon
and rayna's first braids--they were great (if i do say so myself, and of course i do!)

2 comments:

The Duckworth Family said...

I think you did a fantastic job considering those curls! I think if my child had that curly of hair I wouldn't even think of braiding the whole thing....and that's coming from the braid queen! I think once I could put braids in Maliyah's hair it was at least 2 years before they were NOT braids in here hair! Good job!

Judy said...

With a face like that who could resist feeding that puppy. I can't believe you didn't adopt him!