Saturday, May 7, 2011

mom run

today i participated in my first ever 5 km race! i know that's not far for all the marathoners in my extended family, but i was still proud of myself, and wonder if i have to keep signing up for races to motivate myself to keep running... i can tell it's good for me, but i still don't like it very much (though it should get easier as the semester ends for paul and he's home more evenings, it's really hard to find the motivation to go running at 10 pm!) it was an especially fun race i think, because kids <5 could do a little 50 yard dash and they all won medals, so afton and rayna had a blast doing that. some of our good friends ran with us, and i think we all felt okay about how we ended up too. i was in 7th for my age group (out of only 17, but who's counting?!) at 31.5 minutes. here's some pics from our morning:


afton stretching

rayna "stretching"

yep, another stretching picture, they cracked me up! i've never seen them stretch before running around before i didn't even see anyone else stretching out around them!


me and my girls getting ready to run! (ps, the lime green and dark purple were intentional)

all the kids lining up to dash 50 yards. they ran lots of small groups so 4-6 kids ran each "race" (we're right in the middle with our friends)


rayna wanted mommy to run her race with her, we did good! that's rayna's best friend dallin with his daddy next to us. dallin's actually a great runner, but he was having a 2-yr-old moment. i think he ran his own race later.

afton with her "badge" (she didn't want a medal).
*note the tip-toes


and rayna won too!



3 comments:

Sharee Gariety said...

Great job, Elise! I agree, it's hard to get motivated to exercise! So good job doing it. :) I am inspired.

Wendy said...

Those stretching pictures are the cutest! And good work on running. I used to do it (sort of), but never got back into the habit after Libby was born. I hate it too, but I do like when I am getting some exercise.

Kim said...

Great job! I can honestly say that even running a 5k would be hard for me. So I'm thoroughly impressed!